Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Sound of Silence


I had C-Span on standby. As today's historic inauguration played out on television, I was wary of commentators trying to talk over each other to score the best sound bite. Maybe I'd just watched too many Olbermann-Matthews co-anchor-a-thons over the summer.

But to my delight, the networks -- namely CNN and NBC, the channels I flipped between -- played Barack Obama day just right. Mostly silence during the big moments, filled with a little bit o' Brockaw nostalgia and Kearns Goodwin historical gravitas when the time called for it. There was no need for a replacement station.

I also had the pleasure of watching the inauguration proceedings with recent immigrants who were witnessing their first presidential celebration in America. It was a touching moment, and nice to see people who genuinely enjoyed the event. My article on the experience is here.

My favorite quote: “Before today I didn’t really feel like an American,” said Aden Mohamed, a native Somali who came to the United States two months ago. “Today, I feel like part of this country.”

Truly an amazing day for anyone covering or watching.

No comments: